Benhall boss Wilkins excited about season ahead after perfect start
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Benhall St Mary boss Carl Wilkins is very excited for the future of the club.
The ‘Badgers’ head into this weekend’s game at Haughley with two wins from their opening two matches, leaving them second in the early SIL Senior Division table.
And the convincing 4-1 victories over Coplestonians and Wenhaston have certainly excited Wilkins, who led his side to an eighth-placed finish in their first season at this level last campaign.
“We’ve started really well,” said Wilkins. “Pre-season was fantastic and one of the best since I’ve been here. We had some great results against tough opposition; particularly the 0-0 draw against Framlingham in which we had some great chances to score.
“Our squad looks strong and exciting with the new signings of Tom Mower, Ryan Noy and Will Ridgard slotting into the side fantastically.
You may also want to watch:
“We have the added bonus of Chris Wright helping us on the management side this season, and, with the likes of him, Chris Sillett and Ross Pemberton, there is so much experience in the side.
“Combine that with the flair of Shane Hambling and Tom Winter (who scored a hat-trick against Wenhaston), and there’s a great balance to the team.”
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
Benhall’s opening games have been at home, and Wilkins is keen to emphasise how much he values home support.
“Every week our home support gets bigger and bigger,” said the boss.
“We really appreciate our fans and it’s great for lads to show off their skills in front of such an enthusiastic bunch.
“For a small village club, we’ve came along way in the last few years (after winning promotion and a Cup final in 2016/17), and hopefully we will continue to do so.
“We’re looking to refurbish the ground next season if we raise enough funds, which would put the icing on the cake for a great bunch of lads and fantastic supporters.”
Wilkins will be hoping his side can make it three wins from three against a much-improved Haughley side.
Elsewhere in the Senior Division this weekend, Bramford host Grundisburgh, Wenhaston welcome Felixstowe Harpers, while Westerfield travel to Capel.
Promoted pair Claydon and Trimley Red Devils meet, while Cranes take on Henley and defending champions Achilles visit Leiston St Margarets.