Bent bonus for Blues?
A MONEY-SPINNING summer move for England hot-shot Darren Bent could land Ipswich Town a whopping £1million cash windfall.
A MONEY-SPINNING summer move for England hot-shot Darren Bent could land Ipswich Town a whopping £1million cash windfall, writes Derek Davis.
The Charlton striker, who has been short-listed for the PFA Young Player of the Year award, along with Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Anton Ferdinand (West Ham), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) and Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), is the leading English goalscorer in the Premiership with 16 goals, plus another four in cups.
He has become hot property and a number of top clubs are reportedly keen on signing him.
Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are understood to be leading the chase with transfer figures of between £6m and £12m being bandied about.
You may also want to watch:
The sell-on clause installed by the Blues for Bent is believed to be in the region of 20% for anything over the fee Charlton will end up paying, which should reach £2.6m this weekend.
That would net Town in excess of £1m if Bent were to be sold at a conservative estimate of £8m - although Charlton are understood to be keen on keeping hold of the London-born striker.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
The Blues will definitely pocket £50,000 if Bent notches up his 40th appearance for the Addicks at Fulham on Saturday.
They already secured £50,000 when Bent made his 20th appearance for Charlton and will reap a further £200,000, when the Town Academy graduate plays a competitive game for England.
The payments are part of the add-ons negotiated by Ipswich when Bent left for The Valley last summer in an initial £2.5m move.
Although unexpected, the cash would be very welcome at Portman Road as the club is looking to bring in new players to strengthen their squad and it would make up for any deficit in their target of 16,000 season ticket sales.
The deadline for the discounted prices is tonight and even though it is understood more than 12,000 applications have already been made, a final figure will not be known until the middle of next week when they have all been processed.