Bent the hero for England
England Under-21s 3 Serbia & Montenegro Under-21s 2Darren Bent clambered off the bench to get England under-21s back to winning ways in a thrilling friendly against Serbia and Montenegro in Hull last night.
England Under-21s 3 Serbia & Montenegro Under-21s 2
Darren Bent clambered off the bench to get England under-21s back to winning ways in a thrilling friendly against Serbia and Montenegro in Hull last night.
The Ipswich striker replaced Jermaine Pennant in the 82nd minute for only his second international appearance – and five minutes later knocked home Carlton Cole's flick-on to seal the win.
England thought they would have to settle for a draw after Srdan Stanic's equaliser for the visitors just two minutes earlier.
You may also want to watch:
But until the late fireworks it seemed that Jermain Defoe's seventh international goal would be the one to ensure David Platt's side went into next week's crucial European Championship qualifier in good heart. The West Ham youngster produced a clinical 68th-minute finish after being superbly sent clear by Pennant.
Platt handed three players their full debuts but Chelsea goalkeeper Rhys Evans will remember his big night for the wrong reasons after being stretchered off in the 49th minute.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 8 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 9 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 10 Returning fans, new faces and a visit from Premier League royalty - Town face Crystal Palace as pre-season moves up a gear
Phil Jagielka and Steven Sidwell both impressed as England built on Shola Amoebi's first-half opener and shrugged off the shock of conceding an equaliser, scored by Branimir Petrovic.