‘I’ve never felt that before in my life’ - Celina on the love of Ipswich Town fans
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Bersant Celina revealed just how much the adulation of the Ipswich Town fans means to him after his latest match-winning effort.
The Kosovan, on loan from Manchester City for the season, found the net from 25 yards to beat 10-man Leeds at Portman Road on Saturday, with the stunning strike his eighth goal of an increasingly productive season.
Celina charged to the corner of the Sir Bobby Robson and Cobbold Stands to celebrate his goal, threatening to remove his shirt again as he did at Burton in October, and revealed hearing the fans chant his name fills him with confidence.
“It helps me a lot because the home fans sing my name and I’ve never felt that before in my life,” he said.
“It gives me confidence and obviously the whole team as well.
You may also want to watch:
“That was the best atmosphere I’ve played in at Portman Road, definitely, and it was great.
“Loads of Leeds fans came and that was great, they were very loud, but it was even better from our fans and that’s what I’m happy about.”
- 2 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 7 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 8 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
The 21-year-old has previously spoken of his desire to force his way into Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City first team in the future and hopes the Spaniard was able to see a goal he believes was one of the best he has scored as a professional.
“It was a good goal for sure,” Celina said.
“I’m just really happy for the team, for myself, the fans and everyone here.
“It’s definitely among the best professional goals I scored. I’ve scored some good goals but that’s one of the best. I’m glad it proved to be important and it’s great to get the win against a strong team.
“We had to be patient and try and get the one goal which would probably win the game, so I’m glad we did that.
“He (Guardiola) might see it on the TV screens, I don’t know, but I hope he is impressed with what he saw.
“I’m really enjoying myself here and I’m just happy I can play games, be involved and help the team. Hopefully for the next four months and for all season I can keep playing well.
“This should give the club a big lift and we can go to Bolton next week with some confidence.”