Bilbao call off Portman Road friendly
THE hoped-for friendly against Spanish giants Athletic Bilbao will not go ahead after the Basque club ditched plans to hold a pre-season tour in England.
THE hoped-for friendly against Spanish giants Athletic Bilbao will not go ahead after the Basque club ditched plans to hold a pre-season tour in England, writes Derek Davis.
The EADT reported yesterday that The Blues were actively looking for a replacement game with a trip to Dutch side Twente Enschede now looking the most probable fixture.
Although agreement had been reached with Blibao, who had also agreed to visit Stoke City the same weekend, contracts were not signed and now the English agents handling the arrangements have confirmed the Spaniards would not be travelling.
Bilbao were rocked with two pieces of bad news last week before losing out on a UEFA Cup spot to Barcelona on the final day of the La Liga season.
You may also want to watch:
Manager Jupp Heyncke revealed he would be leaving and has already joined FC Schalke 04. The following day club president Javier Uria succumbed to cancer, aged 41, and the club went into mourning.
Bilbao played six games in less than a fortnight last season during a visit to England but now it appears the new coach, who was promoted from youth-team boss, is not so keen on a return visit.
- 1 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 4 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 5 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 6 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 7 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 8 Town's new owners to discuss player recruitment with Cook this week
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 10 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
Town will travel to Southend United, Colchester United and Boston United as they warm up for the new Division One season and will play three games in six days during a trip to Sweden and Denmark.