Bond: More non-league gems out there
COLCHESTER United midfielder Andy Bond says there are plenty of more non-league gems to be had for Football League clubs.
The 25-year-old has proved to be one of the League One signings of the summer so far, scoring five goals and becoming an integral part of the U’s midfield following his acquisition from Blue Square Premier club Barrow.
This afternoon he comes up against another prime example of a non-league player made good in the form of Swindon striker Charlie Austin.
The 21-year-old has already scored 25 goals for the club, little over a year after being plucked him off of a building site and from the amateur game.
“You’ll be surprised just how many young, talented players there are in non-league,” said Bond, who was forced to drop out of the professional game when Crewe released him as a youngster.
“Sometimes it’s just a case, as it probably was for me, of being in the right place at the right time.
“I think league clubs are being a lot more careful with their money at the moment and, with that in mind, I see no reason why they shouldn’t start looking to non-league for a few hungry players who are looking to get back into the professional game.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 6 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 7 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 8 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Shocked woman finds naked burglar asleep in her bed
“The manager (John Ward) hasn’t asked me about any more non-league players just yet, but if he wanted any advice on up-and-coming names I’d be happy to give it to him.”
– Full interview, including Bond’s thoughts on the up-and-coming FA Cup match against non-league side Swindon Supermarine, in today’s EADT.