Bonus victory for Harwich on the road
Eastern Counties League 1 - Broadland 6 Harwich & Dovercourt 31
IT was another week but the same old story for Harwich & Dovercourt, who gained another bonus point but could have scored several more tries.
Harwich looked dangerous from the off, playing an expansive game.
This play was rewarded after 10 minutes when veteran winger Adrian Dalby crossed the line. Male converted.
Scrum half Keir Blacker was on the score sheet for H&D. The scrum half caught the Broadland back row napping to break the defensive line from a scrum.
Blacker then weaved his way through the home sides cover defence, running in from 30 yards out to finish off a delightful individual try. Male converted.
Hatcher picked up his 12th try of the season soon after. Harwich kicked their way into the Broadland twenty two after the home side were penalised at the breakdown.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 10 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash
From the resulting lineout Hatcher peeled off a maul from 10 yards out to power over the line.
Hatcher then turned provider for the next two tries. Firstly he set up Sam Male after Harwich stretched the Broadlands’ defence after several phases of play.
The ball found its way out to Hatcher who drew the last defender and offloaded to full back Male who finished off with ease.
Second row Robert Edgar scored Harwich’s fifth of the half.
Hatcher then again broke the defensive line to off load to the supporting Edgar who shrugged off several desperate tackles to cross the line. Male converted to give Harwich a 31-3 lead at half time.
The second half was a much different story and Broadland picked up the only score of the half with a penalty kick.