Bostik League round-up: Needham Market grab a late leveller, Bury Town win on the road
- Credit: Archant
An entertaining, end-to-end game between Needham Market and Enfield Town ended 2-2 in the Bostik Premier, with the hosts rescuing a point in second half stoppage-time.
Following their impressive FA Cup victory against Chesham United, Needham looked to transfer that success into their indifferent start to the league campaign.
Their first real chance came on 18 minutes when Dan Morphew headed over the crossbar, before fellow centre-half Sam Nunn followed suit as his effort was off target four minutes later.
With half an hour played, Needham forward Luke Ingram’s strike hit the post with goalkeeper Joe Wright scrambling. The ball rebounded to Callum Harrison but his strike was off-target.
After an abundance of chances at both ends, it was the Suffolk side who got the breakthrough. Unselfish play from Ryan Gibbs teed up Ingram and his deflected strike from close range made it 1-0 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Moments into the second period and Jack Higgs’ header was wide, with the single goal margin now looking rather precarious.
Town were rewarded for their bright start and equalised via an own goal from full-back Darryl Coakley on 52 minutes.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 8 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
Enfield ‘keeper Wright produced a fine save to deny a dipping Joe Whight free-kick, with the game level going into the closing stages.
Town took the lead for the first time with 81 minutes on the clock. Higgs’ inch perfect free-kick was just out of the reach of Danny Gay.
However, there was to be one last twist in this epic encounter as Dan Morphew’s penalty rescued a point for The Reds at the death.
The Marketmen are on the road on Tuesday evening when they travel to Harlow Town. The game could see Ex-Needham forward Reece Dobson line-up against his former club.
Also in the Bostik Premier, Lowestoft Town slumped to a 3-1 away defeat at Staines Town, Jacek Zielonka netting a consolation for the Trawlerboys.
Elsewhere, in Bostik North, Bury Town claimed a fine 2-1 win at Cheshunt in a dramatic finish.
Noel Aitkens gave the Suffolk side the lead after 72 minutes, only for Tom Bruno to level from the spot six minutes later.
But Cemal Ramadan fired the winner for Bury, also from the spot, with eight minutes left after a foul on Luke Read.