Bowditch's class is the difference
FA BARCLAYCARD PREMIER RESERVE LEAGUE (SOUTH)Ipswich Town Res 2Charlton Athletic Res 1A MOMENT of pure class settled this game as Dean Bowditch once again showed why he is so highly-rated at Ipswich Town and England, writes Derek Davis.
FA BARCLAYCARD PREMIER RESERVE LEAGUE (SOUTH)
Ipswich Town Res 2
Charlton Athletic Res 1
A MOMENT of pure class settled this game as Dean Bowditch once again showed why he is so highly-rated at Ipswich Town and England, writes Derek Davis.
You may also want to watch:
The 16-year-old ignored the attentions of Chris Bart-Williams to chip Charlton keeper Ben Roberts from 18 yards after being set up by strike partner Alun Armstrong in the 79th minute. The goal oozed confidence and class and even had Blues boss Joe Royle applauding.
Armstrong had put Town ahead from the penalty spot four minutes earlier, after impressive midfielder Matt Bloomfield was tripped by Graham Stuart.
- 1 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 2 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 5 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 7 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 10 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
Charlton pulled one back when a Stuart free-kick was flicked in over the stranded James Pullen and the young Blues had to withstand a final onslaught from the Addicks but deserved their victory.
There was plenty for Royle to be encouraged about as the next wave of young talent shone. Gerard Nash had an excellent debut partnered by Aiden Collins in central defence. The duo's combined age is less than that of Finidi George, while the back four totalled just 67 years.
Charlton had experience in the shape of Stuart, Bart-Williams and John Robinson, although the Welsh international lasted just 26 minutes before breathing difficulties forced him off.
New signing Hermann Hreidarsson didn't appear after it was decided it was too soon following his recovery from a gashed thigh. Instead he made an appearance in Bexleyheath to meet Charlton fans.
Ipswich Town Res: Pullen, Mitchell, Chaffey, Murray (Flack, 74), Collins, Nash, Abidallah, Bloomfield, Armstrong (Reid, 81) Bowditch, Morrow, 81) and Boardley. Subs not used: Peat, Atay.
Charlton: Roberts, Sankofa, Gross (Varney, 85) Stuart, Jackson, Beckford, Robinson (Fuller, 26) Deane, Martin (Sharland, 58) Debolla and Bart-Williams. Subs not used: Elliott, Thanda.
Referee: Darren Deadman (Herts) Attendance: 657