Brett Pitman insists Ipswich Town deserved all three points in 2-1 win over Leeds
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Match-winner Brett Pitman insisted Ipswich Town got what they deserved after his late winner secured a dramatic 2-1 win over Leeds last night.
The hosts had to battle back after conceding after just 12 seconds but, after captain Luke Chambers had levelled, Pitman headed home in stoppage time for what could prove a vital victory.
While Leeds boss Steve Evans believes his side were good for at least a point, Pitman insisted the result was a fair one, on a night where Town dominated the possession and shooting stats.
“When you get a late winner in any game it’s a great feeling, you can see what it means to the lads and the staff and the fans so it’s a good goal and a big goal,” he said.
“Draws don’t really do anything for you in this league, you need wins, and to string a few together. That’s three wins out of four now, and if you add a good point at Burnley then that’s a very good set of games for us.
“It’s obviously not ideal to concede so early but it does give you a lot of time, and I thought we deserved to win. Anyone here who says different probably watched the wrong game.”
Pitman was full of praise for the cross from Ryan Fraser’s which provided his winner but insisted he needed to fully concentrate in order to ensure the ball hit the back of the net.
He said: “It was a great cross, I had a lot of time to see it coming and I just tried to get a good header on it and I knew, if I headed it properly, it would go in.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 6 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 10 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
“It’s one of those you can easily miss if you don’t concentrate so I was happy to take it.”