Brightlingsea close in on title after another victory, while Heybridge Swifts record vital win

Bury Town, in blue, in action. Stock image.
Pictue: Seana Hughes

Bury Town, in blue, in action. Stock image. Pictue: Seana Hughes

Brightlingsea Regent are closing in on the Ryman North title, after claiming a 3-2 win at fifth-placed Haringey Borough on Saturday.

Josh Gould was the R’s star man, impressing in the heart of defence and also scoring a brace of goals.

Gould headed home a fourth minute opener from a corner, before Chris Benjamin scrambled an equaliser on 27 minutes.

But Gould regained the lead for the Essex visitors in the 48th minute. Jake Turner’s header from a free-kick rebounded off the bar, with Gould able to turn home the loose ball.

And Billy Hunt made it 3-1 in the 58th minute, thanks to a superb overhead kick from Josh Gould’s throw-in. Adrian Markus netted a 77th minute consolation for Haringey.

James Webster’s men are now guaranteed at least a play-off berth, although automatic promotion is very much within their grasp.

Coach Angelo Harrop said: “It’s a huge win against a very strong side, and a big three points. We’re getting very close to the title.”

Most Read

Maldon & Tiptree kept up the pressure with a 1-0 away win at Thamesmead Town, although the second-placed Jammers remain nine points adrift of Brightlingsea, with just five fixtures remaining

Liam Nash netted the only goal of the game, in the sixth minute.

At the other end of the table, Heybridge Swifts virtually secured their Ryman North status with a 2-1 home win over Ware 1.

Lee White nudged the visitors ahead in the 32nd minute, but Adam Yussuf netted an equaliser just three minutes into the second half. And Reece Grant then bagged an 86th minute winner to move the Swifts up to 18th spot, eight points clear of Ware, who occupy the third and final relegation slot.

Elsewhere, Witham Town secured a 2-1 home win over Tilbury after a slog in a match spoilt by the cross wind. Neither team really got on top and neither keeper had many shots to save.

Witham’s Ryan Charles opened the scoring in the 39th minute with a long free kick, which deceived Clarke Bogard.

The Dockers were soon level when they were awarded a gift penalty that Tony Martin converted easily.

Witham scored what proved to be the winner thanks to Max Bradford’s low shot, the ball just creeping inside the post.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter