Bury St Edmunds 1 Colchester 3

NE14Hockey East Men’s League

Division One

COLCHESTER maintained their brilliant start to the season as they took all three points for the third time this season. The match started slowly as neither attack was able to break down their opponents defence.

The first real chance of the match came in the 10th minute, Joe Rich made a tackle deep in the Bury half and passed the ball onto John Wilson, Wilson drove into the ‘D’ and got a shop away which was deflected by a defender’s stick wide of the post. This spurred Colchester into life with Joe Rich having a shot saved after a cross from Jack Devitt on the right.

With quarter of an hour gone, Colchester took the lead. Rohan Khaira passed the ball to Mark Kennedy, who fired a ball into the Bury ‘D’ where Rob Mann was on hand to deflect the ball into the goal from close range. Colchester continued to press and Joe Rich forced the Bury keeper to make another save after deflecting a Rohan Khaira cross from the right.

You may also want to watch:

Bury though began to get into the match and press the Colchester defence. Mark Kennedy made a couple of good tackles to deny the hosts any shooting opportunities. Bury though stepped up their efforts and started to create some chances.

Tom Britton was dispossessed on the right, which started a quick break. Bury crossed the ball from the left and found their man in the ‘D’, who took a touch past Michael Pearce before getting his shot off, however Liam Phillips made a great save. In a sustained period of pressure for the hosts, Colchester were indebted to Phillips as he made a further three good saves as Bury pressed for an equaliser.

Most Read

With the half drawing to a close Colchester regained the initiative and created a couple of chances on the break. Rob Mann’s pass to Jack Devitt at the back post being intercepted after a long ball from Tim Wright and Mann again crossing the ball to John Wilson, whose diving effort went just over the bar.

The hosts started the second half strongly and had a period of sustained pressure, where once again Colchester were indebted to Liam Phillips for keeping the ball out. Phillips making a string of fine saves from deflections from Penalty Corners for Bury.

Another fine save from Phillips set Colchester on a Counter attack. After the save the ball fell to Mark Kennedy, who fired the ball up the left to Jack Devitt. Devitt centered the ball to Rob Mann who rounded the keeper before seeing his effort go wide.

This spurred Colchester back into life and Colchester soon doubled their advantage. Joe Rich made a fine tackle in midfield, with Tim Wright picking up the loose ball; Wright passed the ball up to Rohan Khaira, who drove into the ‘D’ before unleashing a shot, which found John Wilson at the back post who turned the ball into the empty net.

Rob Mann made a chance for himself after making a good tackle in the heart of the Bury defence; Mann rode a heavy tackle before firing his shot, which was saved by the Bury keeper.

The game was now going from one end to the other as another period of pressure for the hosts was again cancelled out by the fine performance in the Colchester goal of Liam Phillips who made another couple of good saves.

Colchester nearly had a third goal when Joe Rich went close. A nice build up by Colchester saw the ball worked down the left, the ball went back into the center before coming back put to the left where Tim Wright found Jack Devitt on the baseline. Devitt found a pass back to Rich who was fouled in the ‘D’ but continued and pushed his effort narrowly wide of the post.

With just five minutes left in the game, Bury got themselves a lifeline. The Bury attacker drove down the Colchester right before cutting back and firing a shot past Phillips from close range. This could have set up a tense finish to the game, however Colchester restored their two goal advantage shortly afterwards, Rohan Khaira released John Wilson, who rounded the keeper, but was fouled by the keeper to give Colchester a Penalty Stroke. Matt Brown made no mistake from the spot.

Mersea Homes Man of The Match was Liam Phillips for his fine display in the Colchester goal. Colchester will now be looking to continue their fine start to the season when they take on the Old Southendian, the other side in the league with a 100% record, at home next week.

Colchester Round-Up

COLCHESTER second 11’s fine start to the season came to an abrupt ended as they were on the wrong side of a 5-1 score line at home to Brentwood second eleven. The third 11 continued their unbeaten start as they registered their first win of the season with a 3-0 victory at Upminster fourth 11. The fourth 11 felt defeat for the second time this season as they went down 2-1 at home to Harlow second 11.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter