‘I want to score goals for the team’ – U’s new recruit Callum Roberts, following his switch from Newcastle
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United’s latest recruit, Callum Roberts, has announced that he has joined the U’s to score goals, and help the Essex club to win promotion.
Attacker Roberts became the third U’s new signing of the week, putting pen to paper on a loan deal from Newcastle United on transfer deadline day this morning.
The 21-year-old will stay with the U’s until the end of the campaign, so joining up with fellow new recruits midfielder Ben Stevenson (permanent move from Wolves) and winger Abo Eisa (on loan from Shrewsbury Town).
“My target is to get into the team, stay in the team, work hard for the team, and score goals for the team,” enthused Roberts following this morning’s training session with his new team-mates.
“I want to help the club to get back into the play-offs, and help them get promoted.
“I can play in the role behind the striker, on the left wing or the right wing,” added Roberts.
This will be Roberts’ third loan spell away from St. James’ Park.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
The England Under-21 international, who scored on his first start for the Magpies in the FA Cup win at Blackburn Rovers earlier this month, previously spent time on loan at National League side Gateshead (in 2015) as a raw teenager, and also at Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock, foe whom he made 11 appearances during the 2016-17 season.
Roberts has been with Newcastle since the age of eight, and made his senior debut against Leicester City in the FA Cup in January, 2015.
This term, he was part of Rafa Benítez’s squad during pre-season before celebrating his first goal for the club at Ewood Park. Roberts has also been named on the bench for Newcastle’s last two Premier League fixtures.
He could make his U’s debut in the League Two fixture at Northampton Town on Saturday.