Ched Evans set for League One club – but it’s not Colchester United
Stories have circulated suggesting that Ched Evans will be signing for a League One club tomorrow morning.
There are no plans for an impromptu Colchester United press conference tomorrow, so ruling out any suggestion (always a very unlikely one) that it might be the U’s.
Instead, the belief is that convicted rapist Evans could be signing for Port Vale, probably until the end of the season, although Oldham Athletic have also been mentioned.
If it is true, then Vale (or Oldham) will have to brace themselves for a hostile reaction from some quarters, with many campaigners believing that ex-Sheffield United striker Evans should not be able to return to football.
Evans has been searching for a club since he left prison in October, after serving half of a five-year sentance for raping a woman in a hotel in May 2011.
You may also want to watch:
He is appealing against the verdict, and this appeal is currently being considered by the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 3 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 10 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station