Chelmsford 6 Dereham 0I

East Men’s League

Premier A

CHELMSFORD put their poor start to the season behind them with two resounding victories over the weekend.

On Saturday as they comfortably despatched newly promoted Dereham in the league, before dismantling highly fancied Cambridge City on Sunday.

In unseasonably warm weather, Chelmsford began the game the stronger team against Dereham. Although resolute at the back, the visitors offered little going forward and Chelmsford enjoyed the majority of possession. They should have taken the lead after 10 minutes when Adam Hunter’s goal bound shot was illegally stopped on the line, but Tom Fanger’s weak penalty was saved low to the keeper’s left.

You may also want to watch:

However, Chelmsford kept up the pressure and were soon ahead when player/coach Dillet Gilkes’ strong run along the by-line saw the ball trickle between the keeper and the near post, and Liam Radley was on hand to nudge the ball over the line for his first goal for the club.

Despite taking this lead there was no let up in this pressure, and this time Hunter’s finish from a short corner beat the defender on the line to double the lead. For the remainder of the half Dereham did push forward but their only attacking threats came from short corners which were easily dealt with by the Chelmsford defence.

Most Read

After the break the gruelling conditions began to take their toll and Chelmsford were able to use their superior numbers to control the pace of the game. With Dereham tiring, Chelmsford confirmed their dominance and a steady stream of goals flowed throughout the half with close range finishes for Radley, Aamer Chaudhry and James Fanger, as well as an audacious reverse stick effort from Harry Rayner that looped into the top corner.

The result propels Chelmsford into the top half of the table, a position they will be looking to cement when they host Cambridge University on Saturday. The game starts at Chelmer Park at noon.

Man of the Match: Adam Hunter

Chelmsford 5 Cambridge City 0

CHELMSFORD followed up their improved performance on Saturday with an equally impressive performance and result on Sunday. Although Cambridge were missing several first team regulars, the same could be said about the hosts who welcomed youngsters Alex Rumbold and CJ Mayes to the squad for the first time.

The opening exchanges were slightly cagey, with Cambridge edging the opening 10 minutes. However, Chelmsford slowly grew into the game, and took the lead with their first short corner of the game when Tom Fanger slotted low into the bottom corner. For the rest of the half chances were created at both ends, with Jason Evans in the Chelmsford goal pulling off a string of saves as half time approached.

As the second half started the game was wide open, but Chelmsford effectively killed off the game with two quick fire strikes in the space of a few minutes. Firstly Rayner and then Chaudhry took advantage of chaotic scenes in the Cambridge D to leave the keeper with no chance and Chelmsford with a three goal lead.

With City now chasing the game, space opened up for Chelmsford to take advantage, and the move of the game involving Mayes and Rumbold ended with Hunter’s cross being deftly touched over the advancing keeper by Rayner for his second of the game.

The scoring rounded off when Rayner’s shot was saved by the keeper and the rebound was emphatically volleyed into the top corner by Hunter.

Chelmsford have been drawn at home against South League Premier 2 side Oxford Hawks in the second round to be played on 30 October at Chelmer Park.

Man of the Match: Harry Rayner

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus