Chelmsford II 3 Reading 2A 2

Higgins Group London LeagueDivision OneChelmsford II 3 Reading 2A 2THE Super Twos registered a much needed win this weekend. In a hard fought, end to end game, they emerged 3-2 winners over Reading 2A at a frosty Chelmer Park.

Higgins Group London League

Division One

Chelmsford II 3 Reading 2A 2

THE Super Twos registered a much needed win this weekend. In a hard fought, end to end game, they emerged 3-2 winners over Reading 2A at a frosty Chelmer Park.

Chelmsford made the best of the opening exchanges, once again managing to soak up the pressure from their opposition. Playing some of their best hockey, the home side created opportunities in front of goal, and were rewarded with a short corner mid way through the half. A straight strike by Gav Spencer looked to be going wide, but was deflected into the net by Chris Wilson, marking a successful return after a few weeks out.

Whilst the goal was a fair reflection of that period of play, the lead was by no means secure, and soon after the visitors were level. A mistake on half way gave Reading possession and slick passing quickly gave the centre forward space to run. Despite the efforts of Carl Wright in the Chelmsford goal, nothing could stop the cool reverse stick shot.

Most Read

The Super Twos then found themselves behind, when a contentious short corner decision allowed a drag flick to be put through the legs of Wright. Chelmsford kept their head up, and played more good hockey, although some of the patience was now absent. The Greens may have felt that going in behind at half time was undeserved, but there were plenty of positives for the remainder of the game.

Chelmsford maintained almost complete possession in the opening phases of the second half. Playing into the low sun, the hosts looked to keep the ball away from their own 'D' as it became increasingly hard to see. Though they struggled to win short corners, the Greens did manage a number of shots on goal. They were eventually rewarded when a good move led to a goalmouth scramble, with skipper Rob Wallbank getting the crucial touch from close range.

Buoyed by being back on level terms, Chelmsford pushed for a winner, but unlike in previous weeks, didn't expose themselves at the back. A couple of individual errors gave Reading a sniff of goal, but the hosts tackled back well to make up for mistakes.

With less than five minutes to go, Rob Wallbank scored again to give the Super Twos the lead. Given space and driving in to the top of the 'D', he took a shot on his reverse which looped into the top corner. Whilst it took a moment for the umpire to signal, the goal stood and the celebrations from both players and the crowd showed how important it was.

Reading promptly went on the attack, looking to get a point, and won three back to back short corners. Whilst two of them were debatable, Chelmsford responded in the best way possible, with solid defence. When they were finally able to relieve the pressure and carry the ball away there was only a minute left. Whilst there was time for one more attack, it came to nothing and the final whistle came just in time for shredded nerves.

Next week, the Super Twos play their final game of 2008, taking on Southgate in the reverse of their first game of the season. Pushback, 2pm at Chelmer Park