Chelsea or Liverpool for Johnson
CHELSEA are edging ahead in the battle to sign Portsmouth full-back Glen Johnson. (The Sun)Pompey have had offers of around �18million from the Blues, Liverpool and Manchester City, with Bayern Munich and Spurs also showing an interest.
CHELSEA are edging ahead in the battle to sign Portsmouth full-back Glen Johnson. (The Sun)
Pompey have had offers of around �18million from the Blues, Liverpool and Manchester City, with Bayern Munich and Spurs also showing an interest.
But Fratton Park sources insist Stamford Bridge is the likeliest destination for the 24-year-old England international - and expect a deal to be done this week.
Johnson had four years at Chelsea but started only 35 league games.
You may also want to watch:
He spent the 2006-07 season on loan at Portsmouth before joining them permanently for �4m in the summer of 2007.
The defender signed a four-year deal in January but Pompey executive chairman Peter Storrie revealed: “When he re-signed, Glen asked if one of the big four came in would we stand in his way and I said we couldn't do that.”
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 10 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
City could still blow everyone out of the water and are ready to pay Johnson �100,000 a week, making it a toss-up between silverware and cash.
However, Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is still hopeful of landing England defender Johnson and - according to the Daily Mail - Anfield would be Johnson's preferred destination. (Daily Mail)