Chris Walker-Hebborn sets a new Commonwealth Games record in the 100m backstroke heats
- Credit: PA
Bury St Edmunds swimmer Chris Walker-Hebborn set a new Commonwealth Games record in the heats of the 100m backstroke this lunchtime.
The 24-year-old was fastest qualifier with an impressive time of 53.30 in Glasgow, the semi-finals between 8.49pm and 9pm tonight.
Walker-Hebborn – who has reinvented himself as a short distance swimmer after his disappointment at the London 2012 Olympics – said he was hopeful of ‘big things’ heading into this week, setting himself the target of four medals.
The former Team Ipswich swimmer, now based at Bath, will also compete in the 50m back, 4x100m medley and 4x100m freestyle.
Thursday 24th: 100m back; semi-finals 20.49-21.00.
Friday 25th: 4x100m free; heats 12.07-12.25; 100m back final; 21.03-21.06; 4x100m free final 21.25-21.30.
Saturday 26th: 50m back; heats 11.10-11.23, semi-finals 19.53-20.03.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 7 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 8 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 9 'A good team and well-coached' - Bolton boss Evatt on Town
- 10 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
Sunday 27th: 50m back final; 20.59-21.07.
Tuesday 29th: 4x100m medley; heats 11.30-11.48, final 21.12-21.19.