Christy Finch will be a hit at Leiston, says Richard Wilkins
- Credit: James Bass
Leiston manager Richard Wilkins has backed new signing Christy Finch to take his chance at Victory Road this season, after the prolific hitman joined the Blues from Wroxham.
Finch scored 31 goals in 43 games for the Norfolk club last season as they just failed to reach the Ryman North play-offs and was first targeted by Wilkins in January.
The Blues boss, who is talking to one or two targets that have also attracted interest further up the non-league pyramid, said: “Christy is a natural goalscorer, his goalscoring record is superb.
“He is an intelligent player who makes good runs, can score goals with both feet and is good in the air.
“I tried getting him in January, we put in a seven-day approach, but he wanted to stay at Wroxham as they were going for promotion.”
You may also want to watch:
With John Sands still on the road to recovery following a double hernia operation, Wilkins, who also has Darren Mills at his disposal in attack, was keen to add more firepower.
“Sandsy probably won’t make the start of the season after a double hernia and last year we had so many games where we were stuck for personnel.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
“There were times when we tried to change things last season and the personnel was not right.
“We started with Cliff Akurang at the beginning of the season and that did not quite work out and we finished with Leon Ottley-Gooch playing up front.
“There will be times when we play two strikers this season so we need more firepower and I have no doubt that Christy will take his chance when it comes.”
Elsewhere, AFC Sudbury have signed a play-off nemesis from their unsuccessful Ryman North play-off campaign last season.
Goalkeeper Ollie Bowles who was outstanding both in open play and during Brentwood’s semi-final penalties victory at Sudbury in April, has joined Jamie Godbold’s team on a year-long loan from Concord Rangers.
Godbold required a new first choice goalkeeper after Marcus Garnham elected to join Conference North side Lowestoft Town.
Meanwhile, Ryman North new-boys Bury Town have signed former Needham Market winger Ace Howell.
The youngster has signed from Ipswich Town, having joined their academy in January.