Clarke so close on United bow
Scunthorpe 0 Colchester 0IPSWICH Town loanee Billy Clarke had an 88th minute goal ruled out for offside as Colchester United ground out another away draw, this time at mid-table Scunthorpe this afternoon.
By Carl Marston
Scunthorpe 0 Colchester 0
IPSWICH Town loanee Billy Clarke had an 88th minute goal ruled out for offside as Colchester United ground out another away draw, this time at mid-table Scunthorpe this afternoon.
Teenager Clarke, on as a 61st minute substitute, stabbed home from close range after Greg Halford had headed on a free-kick, only for his celebrations to be cut short by an assistant referee's flag.
You may also want to watch:
The U's therefore had to be content with another point in their quest for promotion. They remain in the thick of the play-off race, but will have to convert these draws into wins if they are to make a late dash for the second automatic promotion spot.
A draw was just about the right result at Glanford Park. U's keeper Aidan Davison made some smart saves to keep the Iron at bay.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
They have now eight games left, four at home and four away. Next weekend, they entertain promotion rivals Brentford in a Layer Road showdown.