Close shave in cup for Cornard squad

Suffolk Senior Cup Quarter-finalCornard 2 Brantham 2(Cornard won 5-3 on penalties)Brave Metaltec side Brantham Athletic took Ridgeons League Cornard all the way to penalties in this thrilling cup tie.

Suffolk Senior Cup Quarter-final

Cornard 2

Brantham 2

(Cornard won 5-3 on penalties)

You may also want to watch:

Brave Metaltec side Brantham Athletic took Ridgeons League Cornard all the way to penalties in this thrilling cup tie.

Considering the heavy rain at kick off the pitch looked in good condition and, in the fourth minute, a free kick taken by Lee Whybrow was flicked just wide of the post by Lee Worthy.

Most Read

Chris French then saw his well-hit shot punched over the bar by goalkeeper Athey. Despite Brantham having five corners the Cornard defence, especially Athey, cleared them all without too much trouble.

A precision pass from Lawler picked out French who turned and laid the ball off to Brooks, who was given offside with the goal at his mercy.

Ben Lawson had a chance for Cornard, but his snap shot went yards wide as players on both sides were finding the conditions very difficult.

Despite all their efforts, neither side could score and 0-0 at half-time was a fair reflection of play.

After the break, Brantham had a let-off when Peck cleared off his own line.

Cornard were looking the better side at this stage, but against the run of play Craig Chapman saw his shot saved by the Cornard keeper.

Just after the hour Brantham broke the deadlock when some good work by Ben Spencer saw John Stace score.

Cornard equalised ten minutes later when Warren beat goalkeeper Bedingfield.

Cornard missed a good chance when Oliver mis-kicked from three yards and Ryan Bedingfield also made a full length save to keep the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes.

In the first period of extra time Bedingfield was called on to make another superb stop from Warren, while Lawler had a great chance for Brantham but slipped at the crucial moment.

In the 100th minute Stace once again put Brantham in the lead, but just two minutes later Lawson made it 2-2.

Cornard then held their nerve in the shootout to survive what would have been a big cup upset.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter