Colchester 4 Broxbourne 1

NE14Hockey East Men’s League

Division One

COLCHESTER ended their season on a high with a 4-1 victory at home to Broxbourne but it was not enough to finish top of the pile as St Ives won by the same margin to take the title by two points. Colchester were expecting a tough battle against a side that had results gone against them could have been relegated, and that’s what they got in the first half.

Colchester were unable to take control of the match but looked dangerous in attack. Rob Mann and Richard Sexton combined well to set up a chance but Mann’s final pull back failed to find his man. Colchester continued to press forward and Joe Rich did well to urn Colchester a Penalty Corner, with Rohan Khaira firing his effort against the post.

With the half drawing to a close Colchester took the lead, Jack Devitt showed good presence of mind to draw a foul in the ‘D’ to give the hosts another penalty corner. This time the ball was played back to Joe Rich who slapped the ball first time into the goal.

You may also want to watch:

Colchester’s superior class showed in the second half as they took full control of the game. Early in the half Colchester doubled their advantage after good work down the left, Joe Rich found a pass to John Wilson, who fired the ball across for Rob Mann to deflect the ball into the bottom corner.

The gulf in class was beginning to show and Colchester soon had a third goal to show for their endeavours. A great crossfield pass from Alfie Sexton found Mersea Homes Man of the Match, Joe Rich in acres of space on the left, Rich calmly took the ball into the ‘D’ before slipping the ball past the Broxbourne goalkeeper.

Most Read

The visitors were then given a lifeline, a free-hit was taken quickly allowing the Broxbourne player to run at the defence, he shifted the ball to the left where the forward fired in his shot first time past Jack Gardner in the Colchester goal.

This spurred Broxbourne on for a short while and the Colchester defence had to be watchful to prevent their opponents any clear cut chances.

Colchester put the game to bed when Rohan Khaira fired in a shot from another Penalty Corner. Victory briefly put Colchester top of the table but title hopes where dashed when news of St Ives win at thome to Waltham Forest came in a couple of hours later.

Colchester were disappointed not take win the league, after being top of the table for 16 weeks of the season, but will be consoled by the prospect of plying their trade back in the Premier B division next season.

Colchester Round-Up

The Second XI scored a late winner to beat Old Southedian 2nd XI 2-1 and take the Division 4SE title. The third eleven ended the season on a downer, going down 5-2 at home to East London 3rd XI. The fourth 11 ended their season on a high registering a 4-3 win away against havering fourth 11.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus