Hat-tricks for Flexman and Pickett as Colchester run riot in 79-0 win
- Credit: Archant
London 1 North Letchworth 0 Colchester 79 Colchester ran rampant, scoring 13 unanswered tries, a number that proved to be unlucky for their hosts Letchworth, writes Steve Whiteman.
This result moves them up one place to third in the league, leapfrogging Amersham & Chiltern, who lost at home.
Colchester opened the scoring straight from their kick off when the charging forwards turned over the ball and the backs moved it swiftly right for wing Dave Brennan to score in the corner.
From the restart the Blacks pressed forward again and earned a scrum ten metres from the hosts’ try line. The back row of Danny Whiteman, Harrison and Ollie Pickett drove into the home half-backs, for the latter to claim his first try. Wing James Crozier converted putting the visitors 12-0 ahead after only ten minutes.
Colchester than won a penalty and scrum half Brett Cutbush quickly tapped the ball and fed Pickett, whose strength and direct running took him over the line for the second time.
You may also want to watch:
The Black backs soon joined in the scoring when good interplay by centre Jona Crisp and Crozier put the wing over in the corner bringing the score to 22-0.
Before long the ball was moved to Joe Flexman in the centre, who cut through for a fine converted try.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
Just before half-time a number of infringements by the now desperate Letchworth defence lead to the referee awarding Colchester a penalty try, making the score at the interval 36-0.
Colchester continued to dominate the game and soon good running by dynamic prop Joe McMillan put the Blacks close to Letchworth’s try line.
The ball was moved to the backs and Flexman claimed his second try, bringing the score to 43-0.
Substitute scrum half Matt Wadling replaced Cutbush and before long broke at pace from behind a successful scum to feed Flexman who claimed his hat trick.
Likewise Pickett claimed his hat-trick soon after as, in the final quarter, his brother Liam scored, then fullback Brown and finally Brennan who shot up the right wing for his second and the final try in this dominant display by Colchester.