Colchester United 0 Carlisle United 1, match report: U’s sunk by super sub James Devitt

Mikael Mandron goes over in this tussle with James Brown. Picture: STEVE WALLER

Mikael Mandron goes over in this tussle with James Brown. Picture: STEVE WALLER - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Colchester United 0 Carlisle United 1

Colchester United’s mini unbeaten three-game run, in League Two, was ended by good travellers Carlisle United at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.

Super sub James Devitt struck with the only goal of the game, in the 58th minute, to secure a fourth league win on the road for the Cumbrians this season.

On as a half-time substitute, attack-minded Devitt latched onto James Brown’s fine through ball and cracked a low shot in at the far corner of the net, with Sam Walker rooted to the spot.

The U’s huffed and puffed, but were generally strangled by Carlisle’s defensive approach.

You may also want to watch:

Keeper Jack Bonham also made three fine second-half saves, to thwart Sean Murray, Brandon Hanlan and Drey Wright.

The U’s started brightly and they came close to breaking the deadlock in the eighth minute. Kyel Reid skipped past a couple of challenges inside the box and cracked in a left-footed drive that was well smothered by keeper Jack Bonham.

Most Read

Reid enjoyed a fine start to the match, and he again bemused a couple of defenders before swinging over a cross into the danger zone in the 10th minute. Mikael Mandron headed into the path of strike-force partner Brandon Hanlan, but he was robbed by defender Gary Liddle just when he was about to pull the trigger, from close range.

Four minutes later and Hanlan was scurrying through on goal, only to rather pull his shot, from a narrow angle, with keeper Bonham blocking with his legs.

Carlisle were keeping it tight, starting with a 4-5-1 formation, although they had a half-sight of goal in the 28th minute, striker Shaun Miller’s shot being charged down on the edge of the box by Frankie Kent.

At the other end, Drey Wright had two shots blocked in quick succession, but otherwise it was a first half of very few chances.

The U’s were denied by a terrific double save from Bonham inside the first 60 seconds of the second half.

Bonham did well to keep out Murray’s low goalbound shot, and then recovered in time to superbly parry Hanlan’s close-range shot from the follow-up.

But it was Carlisle who took the lead, with Devitt, on as a half-time substitute, drilling a low shot into the far corner of the net from a tight angle.

The U’s struggled to create chances, although Bonham pulled off a terrific save to deny Drey Wright in the 82nd minute, by palming away his well-struck shot.


COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Kent, Eastman, Kpekawa, Jackson, Loft (sub Odelusi, 78), Murray, Wright, Reid (sub Kabamba, 83), Mandron, Hanlan (sub Slater, 67). Unused subs: Gilmartin, Lapslie, Comley, James.

CARLISLE UNITED: Bonham, Brown, Liddell, Hill, Grainger, Lambe, Etuhu (sub Devitt, 46), Jones, Joyce, Adams (sub Hope, 67), S Miller (sub T Miller, 83). Unused subs: George, Kennedy, Cosgrove.

Referee: Craig Breakspear (Surrey)

Attendance: 3,402 (236 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter