Colchester United bow out of Essex Senior Cup
Concord Rangers 1 Colchester United 0
Colchester United were knocked out of the Essex Senior Cup, at the semi-final stage, by hosts Concord Rangers at the Aspect Arena tonight.
Substitute Gary Ogilvie, introduced for the start of the second half, obliged with the only goal of the game in the 55th minute.
His cracking 20-yard shot flew into the bottom corner of the net, to earn the Skrill South club a place in the final, where they will play Braintree Town.
Neither side was able to break the deadlock during an even first half, although the U’s did threaten from a corner early on.
You may also want to watch:
Both Alex Gilbey and Frankie Kent went close before Drey Wright, on the comeback trail after a long term injury, forced a save from keeper Jamie Butler. Wright enjoyed an hour’s run-out.
Ogilvie’s goal, 10 minutes into the second period, was to prove the match winner. The U’s had appeals for a penalty turned down, when Connor Hubble seemed to be upended in the box, while at the other end Ogilvie was denied a second by Mark Cousins.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
COLCHESTER: Cousins, Sanderson,O’Donoghue, Olufemi, Kent, Roast, Hubble, Gilbey (sub Szmodics, 72), Simmons (sub Nwachuku, 70), Wright (sub Spence, 60), Bonne. Unused subs: Phillips, Lapslie.