Colchester United bow out of Essex Senior Cup
Concord Rangers 1 Colchester United 0
Colchester United were knocked out of the Essex Senior Cup, at the semi-final stage, by hosts Concord Rangers at the Aspect Arena tonight.
Substitute Gary Ogilvie, introduced for the start of the second half, obliged with the only goal of the game in the 55th minute.
His cracking 20-yard shot flew into the bottom corner of the net, to earn the Skrill South club a place in the final, where they will play Braintree Town.
Neither side was able to break the deadlock during an even first half, although the U’s did threaten from a corner early on.
Both Alex Gilbey and Frankie Kent went close before Drey Wright, on the comeback trail after a long term injury, forced a save from keeper Jamie Butler. Wright enjoyed an hour’s run-out.
Ogilvie’s goal, 10 minutes into the second period, was to prove the match winner. The U’s had appeals for a penalty turned down, when Connor Hubble seemed to be upended in the box, while at the other end Ogilvie was denied a second by Mark Cousins.
- 1 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 6 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 7 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 8 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 9 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 10 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
COLCHESTER: Cousins, Sanderson,O’Donoghue, Olufemi, Kent, Roast, Hubble, Gilbey (sub Szmodics, 72), Simmons (sub Nwachuku, 70), Wright (sub Spence, 60), Bonne. Unused subs: Phillips, Lapslie.