Colchester United complete a memorable second-half comeback

Colchester United 3 Barnsley 1

Wingers Gavin Massey and Jacob Murphy combined twice to seal a superb comeback for Colchester United, at the expense of play-off chasing Barnsley this afternoon.

Massey and Murphy both struck in the second half, converting each other’s crosses on 62 and 80 minutes.

And George Moncur then rubber-stamped the win with a cracking finish in the 86th minute, to chalk up his third goal in three games.

It was the first time that the U’s had recorded back-to-back victories this season, following the 2-1 win at Port Vale on Good Friday.

And this latest three-pointer has given Tony Humes’ men genuine hope of escaping the relegation zone during the last six fixtures of the campaign.

Barnsley took the lead with what proved to be the only effort on target, from either side, in a drab first period. Fittingly, it was a very scrappy goal.

Most Read

Jacob Murphy conceded a free-kick, near the right touch-line, and Conor Hourihane’s delivery proved too hot to handle for the U’s defence.

Centre forward George Waring connected with a close-range header and the ball somehow found its way through a crowded six-yard box and past keeper Sam Walker.

It was a messy goal for the U’s to concede, but the under-performing U’s improved after the break and were deservedly level in the 62nd minute.

Murphy was the creator with a wonderful cross from the right, and fellow winger Massey stole in to volley crisply past keeper Adam Davies from close-in.

The roles were then reversed, as Murphy gleefully headed the U’s into the lead with a thumping header from Massey’s exquisite cross.

Just to make sure, Moncur sealed the comeback with a super cool finish, with four minutes remaining.


COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Eastman, Khumalo, Wynter, Lapslie, Moncur, Szmodics (sub Gilbey, 56) Massey, Porter, Murphy. Unused subs: Lewington, Gilbey, Healey, Vincent-Young, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris, Harney.

BARNSLEY: Davies, Holgate, Cranie, Nyatanga, John, Bailey (sub Winnall, 76), Pearson, Hourihane (sub Berry, 88), Scowen, Lalkovic (sub Stewart, 71), Waring. Unused subs: Dibble, Smith, Ramage, Hemmings.

Referee: Keith Hill (Hertfordshire)

Attendance: 5,157 (699 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter