Colchester United complete a memorable second-half comeback
Colchester United 3 Barnsley 1
Wingers Gavin Massey and Jacob Murphy combined twice to seal a superb comeback for Colchester United, at the expense of play-off chasing Barnsley this afternoon.
Massey and Murphy both struck in the second half, converting each other’s crosses on 62 and 80 minutes.
And George Moncur then rubber-stamped the win with a cracking finish in the 86th minute, to chalk up his third goal in three games.
It was the first time that the U’s had recorded back-to-back victories this season, following the 2-1 win at Port Vale on Good Friday.
And this latest three-pointer has given Tony Humes’ men genuine hope of escaping the relegation zone during the last six fixtures of the campaign.
Barnsley took the lead with what proved to be the only effort on target, from either side, in a drab first period. Fittingly, it was a very scrappy goal.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 3 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 4 Driver arrested for being four times over legal limit
- 5 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 6 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 9 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 10 Suffolk man with sexual interest in children is jailed
Jacob Murphy conceded a free-kick, near the right touch-line, and Conor Hourihane’s delivery proved too hot to handle for the U’s defence.
Centre forward George Waring connected with a close-range header and the ball somehow found its way through a crowded six-yard box and past keeper Sam Walker.
It was a messy goal for the U’s to concede, but the under-performing U’s improved after the break and were deservedly level in the 62nd minute.
Murphy was the creator with a wonderful cross from the right, and fellow winger Massey stole in to volley crisply past keeper Adam Davies from close-in.
The roles were then reversed, as Murphy gleefully headed the U’s into the lead with a thumping header from Massey’s exquisite cross.
Just to make sure, Moncur sealed the comeback with a super cool finish, with four minutes remaining.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Eastman, Khumalo, Wynter, Lapslie, Moncur, Szmodics (sub Gilbey, 56) Massey, Porter, Murphy. Unused subs: Lewington, Gilbey, Healey, Vincent-Young, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris, Harney.
BARNSLEY: Davies, Holgate, Cranie, Nyatanga, John, Bailey (sub Winnall, 76), Pearson, Hourihane (sub Berry, 88), Scowen, Lalkovic (sub Stewart, 71), Waring. Unused subs: Dibble, Smith, Ramage, Hemmings.
Referee: Keith Hill (Hertfordshire)
Attendance: 5,157 (699 away fans)