Colchester United draw a blank at Mansfield

A third successive clean-sheet for keeper Sam Walker, following today's goalless draw at Mansfield

A third successive clean-sheet for keeper Sam Walker, following today's goalless draw at Mansfield - Credit: Archant

Mansfield Town 0 Colchester United 0

Chances were at a premium as Colchester United shared a disappointing goalless draw with Mansfield at Field Mill this afternoon.

It was a very drab encounter, with neither side really deserving to take all three points from a lower mid-table duel.

Mansfield had the better of the very few scoring opportunities in the first period, although the U’s improved as an attacking force after the break.

The Stags should have taken the lead from a free-kick on 12 minutes.

You may also want to watch:

The delivery ricocheted off two U’s players into the path of striker Matt Green, who had just keeper Sam Walker to beat from a mere eight yards out.

But an unmarked Green somehow managed to drag his shot wide of target, much to Walker’s relief. That was a huge let-off for the visitors.

Most Read

The U’s best chance of the first half arrived as late as the 40th minute, Owen Garvan’s well-struck 25-yard drive being diverted around the post by the outstretched hand of keeper Scott Shearer.

Into the second half and Mansfield were close to an opener in the 67th minute, only for Green’s deft header, from Lee Collins’ pinpoint cross, to balloon narrowly over the bar from six yards out.

Garvan delivered a dangerous free-kick into the box in the 83rd minute, but Dickenson’s header struck his team-mate George Elokobi and dropped to safety.


MANSFIELD: Shearer, Collins, Pearce, Bennett, Benning, McGuire, Hamilton, Clements, Hemmings, Baxendale (sub D Rose, 58), Green. Unused subs: Jensen, Hurst, M Rose, Thomas, Iacovitti, Henderson.

COLCHESTER: Walker, Eastman, Kent, Elokobi, Brindley, Lapslie, Garvan, Slater (sub Wright, 87), Dickenson, Guthrie, Johnstone (sub Szmodics, 77). Unused subs: Barnes, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Doyley, Fosu.

Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambs)

Attendance: 3,398 (237 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter