Colchester United drawn at home to Chesterfield
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Colchester United have been drawn at home to Chesterfield in the first round of the FA Cup.
The draw was made this evening, and John McGreal’s men will entertain the League One Spireites.
Chesterfield are struggling in the third tier, losing 1-0 at Southend on Saturday to sink into the relegation zone.
They are fourth from bottom, with just three wins from 12 league games, and so the U’s will fancy their chances of progressing into round two.
Last season, the U’s won at non-league Wealdstone in round one, before going on to play Tottenham in the fourth round, losing 4-1 to the Premier League giants.
You may also want to watch:
The U’s have played Chesterfield just once in the FA Cup, back in the 1958-59 season. They won this third round tie by a 2-0 scoreline on January 10, 1959. England legend Gordon Banks was in goal for the Spireites that day.
Meanwhile, Braintree Town will host Eastbourne Borough in the first round. Iron beat Bromley 4-2 in the fourth qualifying round last Saturday.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
Iron are stuck in the National League relegation zone after a poor start to the season, featuring just two league wins.
But Hakan Hayrettin’s Essex side will hope to progress past Eastbourne, who are 13th in National League South.
However, Eastbourne did record an eye-catching 2-1 win at National League hosts Aldershot in Saturday’s fourth qualifying round tie.
All the first round ties will be played over the long weekend (November 4-7).