Colchester United drawn away at Cardiff City in FA Cup
Colchester United have been drawn away at Cardiff City, following this evening’s televised FA Cup third round draw.
The U’s reward, for their last gasp 1-0 win over Peterborough United in yesterday’s dramatic second round tie, is a meeting with Championship club Cardiff, in South Wales.
This is the first time in four years that the U’s have reached the third round of the FA Cup.
The last time was back in the 2010-11 campaign, when John Ward’s side eventually lost 4-0 at Swansea City in round three.
In this year’s competition, Tony Humes’ men defeated non-league Gosport Borough 6-3 away, before George Moncur’s injury-time winner saw off the Posh on Sunday evening.
You may also want to watch:
The U’s return to league action this Saturday, with a home game against Rochdale.
Speaking about yesterday’s win over Peterborough, boss Humes said: “It was a fantastic response from the players, after the MK Dons (6-0) defeat, first and foremost the work-rate put in to make sure that we did not get rolled over again.
- 1 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 2 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 3 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 6 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 7 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 8 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
“It wasn’t the prettiest of performances. Our ball retention was not great, but we won a game of football 1-0, and you have to take the positives from that.
“This will give the players more confidence and more belief, and the win was the be-all-and-end-all.”
The third round matches will be played on the weekend of January 3/4.