Colchester United game called off
COLCHESTER United’s home game against Sheffield United has been postponed, following a pitch inspection at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this lunchtime.
Match referee Trevor Kettle travelled down from Rutland to take a look at the pitch, which had been covered in recent days due to the freezing weather.
But he did not take long to make his decision, due to a frozen area on the pitch where the stand casts a shadow.
Referee Mr Kettle said: “I think it was a very easy decision. There is a 20-metre strip across the pitch where the stand casts a shadow, which is really solid.
“With anticipated sub-zero temperatures tonight and tomorrow morning, the probability of the pitch being playable was very low.”
You may also want to watch:
Supporters who had already purchased tickets for tomorrow’s game will be able to use them for the rearranged fixture, on a date to be decided.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 4 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 8 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 9 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 10 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen