Colchester United in cruise control against Crewe
Colchester United 4 Crewe Alexandra 0
Colchester United capped a fine week by completing back-to-back victories at the expense of Crewe Alexandra this afternoon.
Fresh from their 3-0 win at Cheltenham Town in midweek, which ended a 13-match winless run, the U’s cruised to a second success with a dominant display against the Railwaymen.
Kurtis Guthrie broke the deadlock in the first period, and second-half goals from man-of-the-match Owen Garvan, substitute Drey Wright and Brennan Dickenson wrapped up a first home win in 11 weeks.
It was a clinical header by Guthrie, and a sublime corner from Garvan, to put the U’s ahead in the 20th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Garvan, an outstanding player at this level, delivered his corner to the near post, where’s Guthrie’s flick header soared into the roof of the net.
And Garvan doubled the lead all on his own with a class finish in the 72nd minute, to celebrate his first home appearance of the season is some style.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 4 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
The ex-Ipswich Town and Crystal Palace midfielder robbed George Cooper, in the middle of the park, and ran at the over-stretched Crewe defence.
Beating a couple of defenders, inside the box, Garvan kept his composure to slot home a low shot beyond the reach of keeper Ben Garratt.
It was all over for Crewe, when Wright slammed the U’s into a 3-0 lead on 76 minutes.
On as a substitute, just after the hour mark, Wright capped a strong run down the left with a rasping angled drive that flew into the far corner of the net.
There was still enough time for Brennan Dickenson to net a fourth goal for the U’s, in the second minute of stoppage time. The U’s winger beat Garratt all ends up from the edge of the box.
COLCHSTER: Walker, Eastman, Kent, Elokobi, Brindley (sub Vincent-Young, 88), Lapslie, Garvan (sub Bonne, 90+1), Dickenson, Slater, Guthrie, Johnstone (sub Wright, 61). Unused subs: Barnes, Wynter, Fosu, Kamara.
CREWE: Garratt, Turton, Davis, Guthrie, Ng (sub Nugent, 46), Kiwomya, Hollands, Jones (sub Ainley, 77), Cooper, Lowe, Dagnall (sub Udoh, 73). Unused subs: Richards, Kirk, Wintle, Lowery.
Referee: Nick Kinseley (Essex)
Attendance: 2,931 (185 away fans)