Colchester United let two-goal lead slip away in horrible home defeat
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 2 Crewe Alexandra 3
Colchester United’s long wait for a home win over bogey side Crewe continued, as they kissed goodbye to a 2-0 lead to lose to the division’s bottom club tonight.
The U’s looked to be on course for celebrating what would have been their first home win over Crewe, for 23 years, thanks to strikes either side of half-time from Callum Harriott and George Moncur.
But just when it appeared as though the U’s would chalk up only their second win in nine league games, so Crewe rallied to steal all three point via goals by Ryan Colclough, Marcus Haber and substitute Ryan Lowe, the latter netting the winner in stoppage time.
Harriott grabbed the all-important first goal with a wonder strike in the 40th minute.
Only last week, Harriott had been bemoaning his lack of goals – just three in 16 appearances – but he chalked up his fourth in spectacular fashion as his long-range shot flew into the net via the underside of the bar.
Encouraged by this opening goal, just before half-time, the U’s were quickly out of the blocks at the start of the second half to double their lead on 47 minutes.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Cash machines stolen in ram raid at Tesco in Brandon
- 3 Town set to appeal Morsy's FA charge
- 4 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 5 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 6 20th century former light railway station to be converted into properties
- 7 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 8 'We want him to be effective' - McKenna on Celina
- 9 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 10 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
Harriott turned creator this time. The Charlton loanee delivered a teasing corner, and although Tom Eastman’s initial shot was blocked on the goal-line, the lurking Moncur was able to steer home the loose ball from eight yards out.
But Crewe fought back, halving the deficit when danger-man Colclough volleyed home from Haber’s lay-off in the 61st minute.
And the U’s failed to hang on to their slender lead, with Haber slotting home an 81st minute equaliser with the home defence over-stretched.
And they were denied even a point, when Lowe lobbed Jamie Jones in the 92nd minute to complete a miserable evening for the U’s.
COLCHESTER: Jones, Olufemi, Kent, Eastman, Briggs, Lapslie, Edwards, Moncur, Massey, Porter (sub Bonne, 86), Harriott. Unused subs: Parish, Elokobi, Wright, Sembie-Ferris, Curtis, Ambrose.
CREWE: Garrett, Turtle, Ray (sub Kingsley, 90), Nugent, Guthrie, Jones, King, Bingham, Wilson (sub Lowe, 55), Haber, Colclough. Unused subs: Nizic, Cooper, Saunders, Baillee, Wintle.
Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffs)
Attendance: 2,602 (122 away fans)