Colchester United let two-goal lead slip away in horrible home defeat
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Colchester United 2 Crewe Alexandra 3
Colchester United’s long wait for a home win over bogey side Crewe continued, as they kissed goodbye to a 2-0 lead to lose to the division’s bottom club tonight.
The U’s looked to be on course for celebrating what would have been their first home win over Crewe, for 23 years, thanks to strikes either side of half-time from Callum Harriott and George Moncur.
But just when it appeared as though the U’s would chalk up only their second win in nine league games, so Crewe rallied to steal all three point via goals by Ryan Colclough, Marcus Haber and substitute Ryan Lowe, the latter netting the winner in stoppage time.
Harriott grabbed the all-important first goal with a wonder strike in the 40th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Only last week, Harriott had been bemoaning his lack of goals – just three in 16 appearances – but he chalked up his fourth in spectacular fashion as his long-range shot flew into the net via the underside of the bar.
Encouraged by this opening goal, just before half-time, the U’s were quickly out of the blocks at the start of the second half to double their lead on 47 minutes.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 5 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 9 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 10 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
Harriott turned creator this time. The Charlton loanee delivered a teasing corner, and although Tom Eastman’s initial shot was blocked on the goal-line, the lurking Moncur was able to steer home the loose ball from eight yards out.
But Crewe fought back, halving the deficit when danger-man Colclough volleyed home from Haber’s lay-off in the 61st minute.
And the U’s failed to hang on to their slender lead, with Haber slotting home an 81st minute equaliser with the home defence over-stretched.
And they were denied even a point, when Lowe lobbed Jamie Jones in the 92nd minute to complete a miserable evening for the U’s.
COLCHESTER: Jones, Olufemi, Kent, Eastman, Briggs, Lapslie, Edwards, Moncur, Massey, Porter (sub Bonne, 86), Harriott. Unused subs: Parish, Elokobi, Wright, Sembie-Ferris, Curtis, Ambrose.
CREWE: Garrett, Turtle, Ray (sub Kingsley, 90), Nugent, Guthrie, Jones, King, Bingham, Wilson (sub Lowe, 55), Haber, Colclough. Unused subs: Nizic, Cooper, Saunders, Baillee, Wintle.
Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffs)
Attendance: 2,602 (122 away fans)