Colchester United let two-goal lead slip away in horrible home defeat

Colchester United v Crewe Alexandra FC.
Chris Porter in action for Col U.

Colchester United v Crewe Alexandra FC. Chris Porter in action for Col U. - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

Colchester United 2 Crewe Alexandra 3

Colchester United’s long wait for a home win over bogey side Crewe continued, as they kissed goodbye to a 2-0 lead to lose to the division’s bottom club tonight.

The U’s looked to be on course for celebrating what would have been their first home win over Crewe, for 23 years, thanks to strikes either side of half-time from Callum Harriott and George Moncur.

But just when it appeared as though the U’s would chalk up only their second win in nine league games, so Crewe rallied to steal all three point via goals by Ryan Colclough, Marcus Haber and substitute Ryan Lowe, the latter netting the winner in stoppage time.

Harriott grabbed the all-important first goal with a wonder strike in the 40th minute.

Only last week, Harriott had been bemoaning his lack of goals – just three in 16 appearances – but he chalked up his fourth in spectacular fashion as his long-range shot flew into the net via the underside of the bar.

Encouraged by this opening goal, just before half-time, the U’s were quickly out of the blocks at the start of the second half to double their lead on 47 minutes.

Most Read

Harriott turned creator this time. The Charlton loanee delivered a teasing corner, and although Tom Eastman’s initial shot was blocked on the goal-line, the lurking Moncur was able to steer home the loose ball from eight yards out.

But Crewe fought back, halving the deficit when danger-man Colclough volleyed home from Haber’s lay-off in the 61st minute.

And the U’s failed to hang on to their slender lead, with Haber slotting home an 81st minute equaliser with the home defence over-stretched.

And they were denied even a point, when Lowe lobbed Jamie Jones in the 92nd minute to complete a miserable evening for the U’s.


COLCHESTER: Jones, Olufemi, Kent, Eastman, Briggs, Lapslie, Edwards, Moncur, Massey, Porter (sub Bonne, 86), Harriott. Unused subs: Parish, Elokobi, Wright, Sembie-Ferris, Curtis, Ambrose.

CREWE: Garrett, Turtle, Ray (sub Kingsley, 90), Nugent, Guthrie, Jones, King, Bingham, Wilson (sub Lowe, 55), Haber, Colclough. Unused subs: Nizic, Cooper, Saunders, Baillee, Wintle.

Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffs)

Attendance: 2,602 (122 away fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter