Colchester United loanee Luke Garbutt is recalled by Everton
- Credit: Richard Blaxall
Luke Garbutt has been recalled by Everton.
The talented 20-year-old left-back was expected to play his 21st game for the U’s, at home to Shrewsbury Town this evening.
But instead, Garbutt has been recalled by Everton boss Roberto Martinez, due to fellow left-back Bryan Oviedo suffering a serious injury.
Garbutt impressed during his loan stay from the Toffees, following his arrival last September.
In addition to his no-nonsense defending, he also weighed in with three goals, and a number of assists from his quality crosses, accurate corners and penetrative free-kicks.
You may also want to watch:
He is expected to go straight into Everton’s squad for tonight’s Merseyside derby at Liverpool.
If the U’s home match against Shrewsbury survives a second pitch inspection, then Ryan Dickson is likely to come in for Garbutt at left-back.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
U’s boss Joe Dunne said this morning: “We are delighted for Luke that Everton feel that he is ready to step into their first team squad.
“I believe he has progressed and developed as a player in his time at Colchester United and I’m sure everyone at the club, including the fans, would like to wish him well.”