Colchester United’s Tom Eastman is OUT for the season
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester Uni
Colchester United’s terrible luck with injuries, to centre-halves, has plumbed new depths.
The U’s beat Barnet 2-1 on Saturday, to move to within two points of the League Two play-off zone, but at a cost after centre-backs Frankie Kent and Lloyd Doyley were both injury casualties inside the first 20 minutes, Kent being stretchered off with a serious-looking ankle injury.
Now it has been revealed that key centre-half Tom Eastman is sidelined for the season, after damaging his ankle during the previous weekend’s 1-1 draw at Blackpool.
McGreal confirmed: “Tom (Eastman) is out for the season.
“He has got a rupture, so you are talking about a similar injury to (Lewis) Kinsella, out for three months.
You may also want to watch:
“We took Tom for a scan on Wednesday, after trying to let the swelling go down, and it’s not good news for Tom, or for ourselves.
“He’s got a rupture in the back ligaments of his ankle, so he is going to be looking at going in for an operation.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 6 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 9 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 10 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
So that’s Tom more-or-less out for the season, unless he has a real quick recovery, but it doesn’t look too hopeful to be honest.
“You’re talking about three months, at least.
“It’s a huge blow for Tom, and for the club. In fact, it’s uncanny how many centre-halves have been getting injured at this football club, having earlier in the season also lost Luke Prosser for the season.
“It is in the 95th minute (at Blackpool) when Tom went up for a header, competed well but just landed awkwardly.
“It’s unfortunate for him, because he’s been a big player for us this year,” added McGreal.