Colchester United’s Tom Eastman is OUT for the season
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester Uni
Colchester United’s terrible luck with injuries, to centre-halves, has plumbed new depths.
The U’s beat Barnet 2-1 on Saturday, to move to within two points of the League Two play-off zone, but at a cost after centre-backs Frankie Kent and Lloyd Doyley were both injury casualties inside the first 20 minutes, Kent being stretchered off with a serious-looking ankle injury.
Now it has been revealed that key centre-half Tom Eastman is sidelined for the season, after damaging his ankle during the previous weekend’s 1-1 draw at Blackpool.
McGreal confirmed: “Tom (Eastman) is out for the season.
“He has got a rupture, so you are talking about a similar injury to (Lewis) Kinsella, out for three months.
“We took Tom for a scan on Wednesday, after trying to let the swelling go down, and it’s not good news for Tom, or for ourselves.
“He’s got a rupture in the back ligaments of his ankle, so he is going to be looking at going in for an operation.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 6 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 9 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
So that’s Tom more-or-less out for the season, unless he has a real quick recovery, but it doesn’t look too hopeful to be honest.
“You’re talking about three months, at least.
“It’s a huge blow for Tom, and for the club. In fact, it’s uncanny how many centre-halves have been getting injured at this football club, having earlier in the season also lost Luke Prosser for the season.
“It is in the 95th minute (at Blackpool) when Tom went up for a header, competed well but just landed awkwardly.
“It’s unfortunate for him, because he’s been a big player for us this year,” added McGreal.