Colchester United swoop for loan signing of Cole Kpekawa
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United have this afternoon completed the loan signing of teenager Cole Kpekawa, on a one-month loan deal from QPR.
Kpekawa, 18, is a defender who can operate either as a centre-half or a left-back, and he is expected to go straight into the U’s squad for this Saturday’s home match against Coventry City.
U’s manager Tony Humes said: “Obviously with the injuries last weekend to Magnus (Okuonghae) and Frankie (Kent), and the loan window closing in a week’s time, I thought it was important to see how strong we would be over the next six to eight weeks, until there is the potential to look again.
“So we have a brought in a young boy from QPR, Cole Kpekawa, who is a left-back or a left-sided centre-half.
“He’s only 18 years of age, but he has a lot of potential.
You may also want to watch:
“We have seen him a lot over the last couple of years, in the youth team and in under-21 games, and he fits what we are trying to do.
“It’s an opportunity for a young player, which is what we are all about.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
“And it give us that strength and that back-up which might be needed over the next six to eight weeks,” added Humes.
Kpekawa teamed up with his new team-mates at the U’s training headquarters at Florence Park this morning.
He enthused: “I was a little bit surprised about Colchester coming in for me, as it’s my first time away from QPR.
“But I’m really looking forward to it. I’m not nervous about making my debut, I’m just excited.”