Colchester United v Barnet, nostalgia: Chris Fry celebrates 100th game in style
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United writer CARL MARSTON recalls a U’s 1-0 home win over today’s visitors, Barnet, back on October 15, 1996.
Substitute Chris Fry, an old-fashioned winger, celebrated his 100th league appearance for the U’s with a stunning winner against battling Barnet at Layer Road in a midweek clash.
Fry was introduced as a 68th minute substitute, by manager Steve Wignall, and his pace helped to break the deadlock on a night when the hosts had puffed and puffed without threatening to end the stalemate.
Fry, the former Hereford United winger, set his sights 25 yards from goal with a first-time shot which flew over Bees keeper Mark Taylor and into the top corner of the net.
The shot seemed to take a deflection off the boot of Jamie Campbell, but it was still a goal worthy of winning any match.
You may also want to watch:
Fry couldn’t have timed his second goal of the season any better, because it was the ideal way to celebrate his century of league outings for the Essex club.
Otherwise, the U’s had keeper Carl Emberson to thank for preserving the three points. Emberson made a string of breathtaking saves to keep the Bees at bay.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
The U’s sat 13th in the Division Three table (fourth tier), three places behind the Bees after 13 games. Fulham were top of the table.
U’s team (v Barnet, Oct 15, 1996): Emberson, Dunne, Betts, McCarthy, Greene, Cawley, Gregory, Kelly (sub Fry, 68), Whitton, Duguid (sub Reinelt, 68), Wilkins. Unused sub: Adcock.