Colchester United v Barnet, nostalgia: Chris Fry celebrates 100th game in style
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United writer CARL MARSTON recalls a U’s 1-0 home win over today’s visitors, Barnet, back on October 15, 1996.
Substitute Chris Fry, an old-fashioned winger, celebrated his 100th league appearance for the U’s with a stunning winner against battling Barnet at Layer Road in a midweek clash.
Fry was introduced as a 68th minute substitute, by manager Steve Wignall, and his pace helped to break the deadlock on a night when the hosts had puffed and puffed without threatening to end the stalemate.
Fry, the former Hereford United winger, set his sights 25 yards from goal with a first-time shot which flew over Bees keeper Mark Taylor and into the top corner of the net.
The shot seemed to take a deflection off the boot of Jamie Campbell, but it was still a goal worthy of winning any match.
Fry couldn’t have timed his second goal of the season any better, because it was the ideal way to celebrate his century of league outings for the Essex club.
Otherwise, the U’s had keeper Carl Emberson to thank for preserving the three points. Emberson made a string of breathtaking saves to keep the Bees at bay.
- 1 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 2 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 3 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 4 13 years behind bars for man who killed a dad out celebrating with family
- 5 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 6 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 9 Death of Sophie Riley was misadventure, inquest jury concludes
- 10 'I absolutely hate it' - Pigott on 'massively frustrating' start to life at Town
The U’s sat 13th in the Division Three table (fourth tier), three places behind the Bees after 13 games. Fulham were top of the table.
U’s team (v Barnet, Oct 15, 1996): Emberson, Dunne, Betts, McCarthy, Greene, Cawley, Gregory, Kelly (sub Fry, 68), Whitton, Duguid (sub Reinelt, 68), Wilkins. Unused sub: Adcock.