Colchester United win award and nominations
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United’s squad, on the back of a successful September, have been queuing up to scoop potential awards.
Manager Tony Humes and keeper Jamie Jones have both nominated in their respective categories, by Sky Bet League One, while midfielder George Moncur was yesterday named the PFA fans’ player-of-the-month.
Humes faces some stiff competition for the manager-of-the-month award, despite a run of four straight wins and a haul of 13 points from a possible 15 during September.
Bury’s David Flitcroft is the clear favourite to win this section, after a perfect month which yielded five straight league wins, plus a victory in the Trophy.
Bury went on to end the U’s unbeaten run, at the start of this month, with a 1-0 win at the Community Stadium last Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The other two managers short-listed are Southend’s Phil Brown, who led the Shrimpers to four wins out of five last month, and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, who has guided Burton Albion to the top of League One for the first time in the club’s 65-year history.
Meanwhile, U’s keeper Jones has been included in a shortlist of four for the League One player-of-the-month accolade.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
Recent recruit Jones, signed on a three-month loan from Preston just under a month ago, produced two match-winning penalty saves in the space of five days, to earn wins at Sheffield United (3-2) and against Gillingham (2-1).
Jones also kept a clean-sheet in the U’s final match of September, a 2-0 win over Phil Parkinson’s Bradford City.
Also short-listed are Walsall striker Tom Bradshaw, Rochdale midfielder Peter Vincenti, and Bury front-man Leon Clarke.
Moncur, meanwhile, has been named the PFA Fans’ player-of-the-month for August/September.
U’s midfielder Moncur scored five goals during that period. He pipped Coventry’s Adam Armstrong and Burton’s Stuart Bevon on the three-man shortlist.