Conference football awaits as Braintree confirmed as champions
BRAINTREE Town will be playing in the fifth tier of English football after they were confirmed as champions of the Blue Square Bet South – without kicking a ball.
Farnborough’s failure to beat Woking yesterday confirmed Braintree as champions, meaning they will be playing Blue Square Bet Premier football next season.
It also means that Braintree’s home match against Welling United tomorrow will be a promotion party and a big crowd is expected at Cressing Road for the 3pm kick off.
And it was double celebration for Braintree after their reserve team was confirmed as winners of the Ridgeons Reserve League South Division. They will now go on to play the winners of the Reserve League North Division in the championship final.
Elsewhere, Diss Town were promoted back to the Ridgeons League Premier Division thanks to their 2-0 win at Godmanchester Rovers. But Whitton United need a point to confirm a top three finish - they host Godmanchester Rovers tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Lakenheath have withdrawn their application to join the Ridgeons League next season.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 7 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 8 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 9 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14