Conference football awaits as Braintree confirmed as champions
BRAINTREE Town will be playing in the fifth tier of English football after they were confirmed as champions of the Blue Square Bet South – without kicking a ball.
Farnborough’s failure to beat Woking yesterday confirmed Braintree as champions, meaning they will be playing Blue Square Bet Premier football next season.
It also means that Braintree’s home match against Welling United tomorrow will be a promotion party and a big crowd is expected at Cressing Road for the 3pm kick off.
And it was double celebration for Braintree after their reserve team was confirmed as winners of the Ridgeons Reserve League South Division. They will now go on to play the winners of the Reserve League North Division in the championship final.
Elsewhere, Diss Town were promoted back to the Ridgeons League Premier Division thanks to their 2-0 win at Godmanchester Rovers. But Whitton United need a point to confirm a top three finish - they host Godmanchester Rovers tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Lakenheath have withdrawn their application to join the Ridgeons League next season.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143