Connolly latest U's player called up
COLCHESTER United have a host of players on international duty over the course of the next week, which is unheard of in the history of the club.Matthew Connolly is the latest to be called up by his country.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United have a host of players on international duty over the course of the next week, which is unheard of in the history of the club.
Matthew Connolly is the latest to be called up by his country. The Arsenal loanee has been included in the England Under-21 squad for the next two European Championship qualifiers.
Centre-half Connolly is in Stuart Pearce's squad to face Bulgaria at the MK Dons stadium on Friday evening (kick-off 6pm).
You may also want to watch:
And the 20-year-old defender will then travel to Portugal for a second qualifier the following Tuesday (9pm).
Connolly has impressed since his season-long loan move from the Emirates Stadium to Layer Road last summer. He has made 10 appearances for the U's, although he was rested for last Saturday's 2-2 draw at league leaders Watford.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
Meanwhile, winger Mark Yeates is preparing to play for the Republic of Ireland “B” team in a friendly fixture against Scotland in Airdrie next Tuesday.
Ironically Yeates, who is the U's leading scorer with seven goals, will be up against former Colchester team-mate Chris Iwelumo, who is in the Scotland “B” squad.
Elsewhere, Bela Balogh continues his duties with the Hungarian senior squad. Balogh enjoyed his third start for the U's at Vicarage Road on Saturday, replacing Connolly in central defence.
And talented teenager Medy Elito, who is yet to make a senior appearance for the U's, is involved in the England under-18 squad.
United have no game this weekend, due to the fortnight's break for internationals.
Their next fixture is at home to Crystal Palace on Saturday, November 24.