Craig Slater is the latest to sign for Colchester United
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United have completed another new signing, their eighth of the summer, by recruiting Craig Slater from Kilmarnock, for an undisclosed fee.
Glasgow-born 22-year-old Slater is a midfielder who has represented Scotland from under-16 up to under-21 level.
He has totalled 76 league appearances for Scottish Premier outfit Kilmarnock, including scoring four goals in 32 first-team outings last season.
He had other options for next season, before opting to move down to England and sign for the League Two U’s instead.
U’s boss John McGreal enthused: “We’re delighted to have signed Craig (Slater).
You may also want to watch:
“He has a good range of long passing, is good in possession and closes down opponents well.
“I’m delighted that we have managed to attract him down to Colchester, because he did have options, including Aberdeen,” added McGreal.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 4 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 9 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 10 Pedestrian taken to hospital after collision with car
New recruit Slater revealed: “I could have stayed up in Scotland, but I felt it was time for a change, and a different environment,
“I’ve been up there for a good few years, and played a lot of good games, but I felt this was a new challenge for me and something I wanted to do.”
Meanwhile, U’s young striker, Femi Akinwande, has signed a new one-year contract.
The Essex club have also confirmed that they will be playing away at Southend United in a pre-season friendly on Saturday, July 30.