Dave's distant memories of Portman Road
ACHILLES' 2-1 victory last weekend saw them reach the final of the Debenham Leisure Centre Suffolk Junior Cup where they will play Metaltec SIL First Division rivals Old Newton And Alan Middle's Ipswich-based club will be out to do better than when the club last played on Ipswich Town's ground.
ACHILLES' 2-1 victory last weekend saw them reach the final of the Debenham Leisure Centre Suffolk Junior Cup where they will play Metaltec SIL First Division rivals Old Newton
And Alan Middle's Ipswich-based club will be out to do better than when the club last played on Ipswich Town's ground. This was in 1952/53 when they lost 4-2 to HMS Ganges in the final of the Suffolk Minor Cup.
That team included current chairman Dave Morgan, pictured, and official Paul Sparke and regular spectator Sid Meekings, and they missed out on a double having won the Ipswich Minor League championship.
You may also want to watch:
“We rather froze on the day, perhaps the august surroundings had something to do with it,” said Dave.
“We were so disgusted that early the following season we challenged them to a game on a blank Saturday at Shotley and beat them 7-2.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
“By then one or two of us had moved up to the adult Premier and Premier Reserve teams and, clearly, it showed!”
Following the Junior Cup success Achilles' vice presidents' dinner at Pauls Social Club on Friday, May 15 will have extra spice.
“The signs are for a good turn out again, and those not already booked are urged to contact us as soon as possible,” said Dave.
Guests invited include Pauls Sports Club secretary John Parris and wife Lois, and former Achilles stalwarts and Metaltec SIL chairman and assistant secretary respectively Keith and Linda Norton.
Dave Routh is in charge of tickets and can be contacted at 62 High Street, Ipswich, telephone 255680.
Tickets cost �20.