Dean Greygoose confirmed as permanent manager at Mildenhall Town

Dean Greygoose, right, who has been appointed as the permanent manager of Mildenhall Town

Dean Greygoose, right, who has been appointed as the permanent manager of Mildenhall Town

Mildenhall Town received a huge boost this week when interim boss Dean Greygoose agreed a deal to become permanent manager at Recreation Way.

Greygoose was appointed on a temporary basis last November but the club have moved to secure his future at the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division club, citing his ‘exceptional drive and passion’ since taking over.

Greygoose took over from Christian Appleford, who is now on the coaching staff at Bury Town, and has won seven of his 15 games in charge of the club.

Greygoose reflected on his opening months at Mildenhall a fortnight ago and expressed his desire to stay with the club then, saying: “I do a lot of work at Norwich’s academy, working on my coaching badges as well, and at the moment it doesn’t interfere with Mildenhall.

“A lot depends on that (as to whether Greygoose stays on after this season), and I want to stay but it’s got to work for both parties.

You may also want to watch:

“I’m hopeful it will.”

He continued: “It’s also a case of Mildenhall looking at me and what I’m doing long-term, are they happy with me?

Most Read

“I’d like to think they are, and so far, so good.

“Yes, I would have liked to have won a few more games, but we are now playing some good stuff, and it’s always going to take a new management team a little while to settle down.”

The news comes hot on the heels of midfielder Matt Green and goalkeeper Josh Pope signing new, two-year deals that will see them stay with ‘Hall until the end of the 2016-17 campaign.

Club Chairman Martin Tuck said: “Dean has shown exceptional drive and passion since being at the club as interim manager.

“I am very please that he has accepted the role on a permanent basis and I am looking forward to working with him going forward to fulfil the progressive ambitions that he shares with the club.”

Meanwhile Mildenhall were unable to build on a run of three wins from their last four league games at FC Clacton on Saturday.

James Dunkley gave the hosts a 12th-minute lead, only for Matthew Waters to equalise for Greygoose’s side, with his first goal of the afternoon.

Parris Newland then crossed for Billy Wales to fire the home side back in front, but Waters was again on target, seven minutes after the interval, to level for the visitors.

However, they could not hold on for a point and just two minutes later, a corner was only cleared as far as Louie Newland, who smashed the ball home from 25 yards.

Mildenhall are sat in ninth position in the league ahead of this Saturday’s trip to Thetford Town, who are sat just five places off the bottom.

The corresponding fixture earlier in the season saw Thetford leave Recreation Way with a 2-1 victory in Greygoose’s first game in charge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter