Defeat for U's against 10-man Brum
Birmingham City 2 Colchester United 1COLCHESTER United could, and should, have celebrated their first ever game in the Championship with a point, but they were undone by substitute Nicklas Bendtner's late strike at Birmingham City.
Birmingham City 2 Colchester United 1
COLCHESTER United could, and should, have celebrated their first ever game in the Championship with a point, but they were undone by substitute Nicklas Bendtner's late strike at Birmingham City.
The Blues, relegated from the Premiership last May, had their noses in front at the interval, thanks to DJ Campbell's deft header on the half-hour mark.
But the U's came storming back in the second-half. Richard Garcia blasted them level in the 51st minute, and for a while Geraint Williams' men looked the more likely winners.
You may also want to watch:
This was especially so when Birmingham were reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute. Cameron Jerome was shown the red card for violent conduct, after catching U's skipper Karl Duguid in the face with a stray arm. Jerome had only been on the pitch for five minutes.
Yet Colchester could not make their numerical advantage count, and they conceded a 78th minute goal from Bendtner, which proved to be the winner. The tall striker lashed home at the second attempt.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash