Drey Wright leaves Colchester United
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Drey Wright has left Colchester United to move north of the border and join St Johnstone.
The 23-year-old attacker will head to McDiarmid Park on a two-year deal in July, when his current contract with the U’s terminates.
A product of the U’s youth team, the reliable and versatile Wright made 148 first-team appearances for the Essex club.
Wright’s strength has been his ability to play in a variety of different positions, including both wings, as a wing-back, a front-runner and a withdrawn role just behind the centre forward, although his game has been hampered by poor finishing, with just nine goals netted in his U’s career.
Wright will join Saints on a free transfer, becoming St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright’s first summer signing.
St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright revealed: “Drey is a player we’ve watched over a period of time and we were aware that his contract was coming to an end.
“He’s played in a variety of roles for Colchester United but I see him as a right-sided attacking player and I’m confident that he’ll contribute much to the team both in terms of goals and assists.”
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 6 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 10 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
Drey Wright played 43 of the U’s 46 league matches during the most recent season, scoring three times.