Drey Wright leaves Colchester United
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Drey Wright has left Colchester United to move north of the border and join St Johnstone.
The 23-year-old attacker will head to McDiarmid Park on a two-year deal in July, when his current contract with the U’s terminates.
A product of the U’s youth team, the reliable and versatile Wright made 148 first-team appearances for the Essex club.
Wright’s strength has been his ability to play in a variety of different positions, including both wings, as a wing-back, a front-runner and a withdrawn role just behind the centre forward, although his game has been hampered by poor finishing, with just nine goals netted in his U’s career.
Wright will join Saints on a free transfer, becoming St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright’s first summer signing.
You may also want to watch:
St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright revealed: “Drey is a player we’ve watched over a period of time and we were aware that his contract was coming to an end.
“He’s played in a variety of roles for Colchester United but I see him as a right-sided attacking player and I’m confident that he’ll contribute much to the team both in terms of goals and assists.”
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 3 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 4 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 5 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 6 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 7 Essex home 'completely destroyed' by fire
- 8 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 9 Delays on A12 after crash near Saxmundham
- 10 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
Drey Wright played 43 of the U’s 46 league matches during the most recent season, scoring three times.