Leiston boss ‘read the riot act’ at half-time of cup clash with Ipswich Town

Leiston players celebrate their dramatic win over Ipswich Town in the Suffolk Premier Cup. Picture:

Leiston players celebrate their dramatic win over Ipswich Town in the Suffolk Premier Cup. Picture: SUFFOLK FA - Credit: Archant

Manager Glenn Driver admitted he had to read the riot act to his Leiston side during the half-time interval of their 2-1 victory over Ipswich Town in the Omni Freight Services Suffolk Premier Cup, writes Nick Garnham.

Ipswich’s Academy side deservedly led 1-0 thanks to a goal in first-half injury time from Idris Elmizouni, but Chris Hendderson equalised after 55 minutes before Joe Jefford settled the tie with a 92nd minute winner.

That secured Leiston a semi-final spot for the seventh consecutive season and broke the hearts of the visitors, who matched their Bostik Premier League hosts throughout.

Ipswich had conceded six goals in this competition at Victory Road in each of the last two seasons, but their slick football ensured there was not going to be a repeat in an entertaining tie in front of the 153 spectators who braved the cold.

- MORE: Jefford nets winner as Leiston go through in Cup

The ever-honest Leiston boss, whose side had suffered a third league defeat on the bounce at home to Worthing on Saturday, said afterwards: “We went back to three at the back with 3-5-2 as it is a system which suits us, but we didn’t retain the ball well enough in the first half.

You may also want to watch:

“We said in our team talk before the match that their players would not take more than two touches and they were outstanding in the first half – their football between the lines was excellent.

“They could have been 4-1 up at half time. The goal came when we gave the ball away and he has smashed it into the top corner.

Most Read

“We read the riot act at half time and said it was not acceptable for a club who play at the level we do to allow them to dominate the game. I thought we were better in the second half and we scored goals at the right times.

“We equalised when we were on top and we were in their half a lot more than they were in our half, so to get an injury-time winner was pleasing.

He added: “It is pleasing to be in the semi-finals and we are hoping we can go one step further than last season and reach the final.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter