East Men’s Hockey League

Premier B Division

Colchester 2 Harpenden 3

COLCHESTER’S final home game of the season ended in disappointment, going down to already relegated Harpenden in a close match.

Colchester started the game brightly looking to take the game to their opponents. However it was the visitors that scored first, with the ball squeezing past Jack Gardner and into the bottom corner. The visitors lead did not last long as within a minute Colchester had drawn level. Michael Pearce began a move, with a ball down the left to Richard Chapman. Chapman in turn forwarded the ball to Jack Devitt, who drove with the ball to the baseline. Devitt cut in along the baseline and looked to lay the ball back, the Harpenden keeper got in a block, but the ball fell to Joe Rich, who made no mistake in putting the ball into the net.

Colchester pressed on and had taken the lead before half-time. The hosts were awarded a penalty corner, which a planned move, saw the ball moved to Matt Brown, whose low flicked effort went between the keeper’s legs and into the goal. Colchester called for calm at half-time and to look to control the game, however Harpenden had other ideas. Within five minutes of the restart Harpenden had levelled the scoring and not long after had regained their lead.

Colchester came back at their opponents and created chances to regain parity, Jack Devitt hitting the post after being set free down the right, and a couple of penalty corners which failed to find their mark.

Ellisons Solicitors Man of The Match was Joe Rich for his hard work in the Colchester midfield and goal.

Most Read

Colchester will be disappointed that they could not get the points to guarantee survival themselves but St Ives losing to Blueharts meant the Colchester have retained their Premier B status for next season. Colchester finishes their season in three weeks time with a rearranged game at Wisbech on April 14.

Colchester Round-Up

The second XI had a fine 5-2 victory at home to Maldon & Little Baddow to maintain their position in the top half of division 3SE. The third XI went down 3-1 at home to top of the table East London third XI, leaving the third XI in fifth place in division 4SE.

A top of the table clash between the fourth XI and Phoenix third was won by Colchester 4-3. The victory saw Colchester end their season in fine style by leap-frogging their opponents to win the title of Division 8SE champions.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter