EFL delay Town’s return to training pending season decision and coronavirus testing
- Credit: Archant
The EFL have delayed the return to training for Ipswich Town and other League One clubs while they await a final decision on the future of the season.
Players were due to have been able to return to small group training at Playford Road from tomorrow but, because Covid-19 testing has yet to begin in League One, that has been moved back.
It comes as it emerged that two people, both from Hull City, have tested positive for the virus in the first round of testing at Championship clubs.
In all, 1,014 players and staff at second tier clubs were tested, with just those two positive results. They will now self-isolate for seven days.
Testing will be carried out at League One clubs - but only after an agreement is reached over how to finish the season. More talks are set to take place this coming week, with options on the table including completing the season behind closed doors, or ending the season and using points per game to determine final placings, the promotion and relegation spots, and the play-off places.
The EFL said: “There is currently no testing programme under way with clubs in League One and League Two. As a result, small group training is not permitted to commence on Monday 25 May 2020 but, if required, clubs in League One and League Two can make their training ground pitches available for individual socially-distanced training sessions, adhering to all the relevant Government guidance and RTT protocols.
“The provisions are in place with Nationwide Pathology to extend the testing programme into League One and League Two as required, depending on the final outcome of the season curtailment discussions.”
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 3 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 6 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 7 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 8 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business