JAFFA and Harriers win Ekiden Relay open titles
- Credit: Archant
Colchester Harriers and hosts Ipswich JAFFA scooped the main open titles at last Sunday’s Ipswich JAFFA Ekiden Relay, held over the traditional 26.2-mile (42.2K) distance at Woodbridge School.
JAFFA won the ladies’ open crown, while the Harriers were in dominant form in the men’s open section, as well as winning the male over-40, male over-50 and female over-50 awards. Saint Edmund Pacers won the female over-40 title and Ipswich Harriers clinched the Mixed section.
The race was held over six legs, an opening 7.2 stage being followed by alternative 5K (three of them) and 10K (two) legs to make up the marathon distance.
JAFFA were nearly four minutes clear in the ladies’ open event, celebrating a winning time of 2hrs 48mins 01secs. Colchester Harriers were second (2:51:53) and Bungay Black Dog third (3:08:06).
The JAFFA six-strong team comprised Laura Thomas, Rachel Hamblyn, Helen Davies, Sam Banks,Sara Bird and Suzy West.
You may also want to watch:
Colchester Harriers won the men’s open race in 2:24:59, finishing more than three minutes clear of runners-up JAFFA (2:28:02) with Felixstowe Road Runners in third (2:38:04).
In the individual stakes, Angus Holford was the quickest of the opening 7.2K stage in 23:57, followed by Felixstowe RR’s Ben Carpendale (24:21) and City of Norwich’s Gary Crush (24:26).
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
Ramadan Osman posted the fastest 5K leg of 15:58, nearly a minute ahead of his Colchester team-mates Mussett (16:51) and Afewerki (17:09). The JAFFA duo of Craig Fiddaman (17:14) and James Calvert (17:17) were fourth and fifth quickest.
Ipswich Harriers’ John Millar registered a swift 31:00 to charge around the four laps of the 10K distance. Waveney Valley’s Matt Jeffries (33:50) and Simon Beedell (34:14) were also in the top three.
For the ladies’ JAFFA’s Thomas was away and clear over the opening 7.2K leg with 27:48, ahead of Colchester’s Lucy Mapp (28:53) and Elisa Bostock (30:03).
Over the 5K distance, JAFFA’s Davies (18:21) and Waveney Valley’s Sam Lines (18:21) both clocked the fastest female times, with Charlotte Murphy taking third in 18:30. Davies also rattled up the fastest 10K (36:15). Nicole Colleen Mukuya was second with 37:59, and Witham RC’s Rachel Sweatt third (38:42).