Elena Baltacha through to second round in Indian Wells
British No.1, Ipswich-based Elena Baltacha battled from a set and a break down to defeat talented Dutchwoman Aranxta Rus (ranked 98) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 in the first round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California.
Baltacha progressed yesterday afternoon local time and now faces 14th seed Julia G�rges of Germany, ranked 15 in the world, in the second round.
“Today’s been a really good win for me and I really needed that,” said Baltacha.
“I felt really good after the first set. She gave me an opportunity, I took it and after that I really felt like I was mixing everything up and I felt comfortable.
“In the third set I went 0-2 down but I still felt like I could win the match and I ended up winning the next five games.
You may also want to watch:
“When my coach Nino came onto the court he told me to fight, just fight and that’s what I always try to do. You’re never out until you lose the last point.”
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 8 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family