Elena Baltacha to face Sam Stosur in French Open first round
SUFFOLK tennis star Elena Baltacha will face Australian Samantha Stosur in the first round of the French Open, which starts on Sunday.
British number one Baltacha, currently ranked 67, will have to play brilliant tennis to advance –Stosur is ranked sixth in the world, is a former French Open finalist and the reigning US Open champion.
Baltacha said: “It’s not a great draw, let’s be honest, but you can’t always get those.
“I have massive respect for Sam because of what she’s achieved and also how she goes about things but I do believe I have a chance against her.
“It will be a big match on a showcourt and I usually play well in those situations and I’ll always fight for every ball.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s going to take one hell of a match from me but I’ve beaten top players before and I know what I’m capable of. I’m looking forward to it.”
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 6 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 7 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket